Private Residence Investigation

Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Date: Saturday, March 22, 2003

Moon Phase: Waning Gibbous

Solar Weather: solar flares-active, geomagnetic activity-unsettled

Investigators present: Hillary M., Robert H., Dan Bell, and Greg (building occupant)

Equipment: Olympus C-3000 digital camera, RCA digital voice recorder, Sony digital video camera with Nightshot, Pentax PC-550 35mm camera, Extech EMF meter, Olympus 2000 Digital Voice Recorder, Extech IR thermometer, Sony Hi-8 Cam, Olympus C-4000 Digital Camera, Trifield EMF meter

History: At this point, we know next to nothing about this building. It is a huge brownstone which has been split into a number of apartments. I believe it was built in the mid to late 1800s. Our contact, whom we'll call Greg, has lived there for fours years, and was warned about the hauntings by an individual who lived in his apartment previously. His apartment is on the third floor…the areas of the building that are rumored to be the most active are the basement and fourth floor.
  Greg has experienced strange sounds (such as a rolling pin rolling across the floor above him for hours on end), items disappearing only to turn up in strange places later, movement seen out of his peripheral vision, unexplainable lights, and the strange feeling that he is being watched. One night, Greg awoke in the middle of the night to see what he described as "an oval-shaped piece of white chiffon" hovering over the bed. Also, once he was in the bedroom and heard what sounded like a huge cabinet full of china crashing to the floor in the living room. The bedroom and living room are separated by a wall which stops about one foot shy of the ceiling, so it is very easy to hear what is going on in the one room, while in the other room. He emphasized that this crash did not come from the apartment above him. On the several occasions when he has heard the "rolling pin" sound, he has run up to the apartment above him to find out what was causing it. Not only was the neighbor not doing anything to produce a sound on the floor, but the neighbor did not hear it!

Investigation: We began the investigation at approximately 10:30 p.m., by taking EMF readings and control pictures around the apartment. Robert kept experiencing something very strange with the tri-field meter. He would stand still, holding the meter against his torso (since moving the meter itself can set it off), and the meter would spike and whine for about ten seconds, then drop off. We had never seen this happen before with this piece of equipment.
At 11:00, I set up my infrared video camera in the living room, and we all went into the adjacent bedroom for an EVP session. A few minutes into the session, I got two consecutive pictures of a large orb, in different positions, in the middle of the room.
  At 11:11, we moved into the living room, but didn't get much on video or still cameras. At 11:21, we left the apartment and went down to the basement stairwell, where much of the activity has been reported. After about five minutes of us sitting at the base of the stairway, I got two moving orbs in the stairway near the first landing. We stayed at the base of the steps for about half an hour, and obtained several moving orb pictures. It seemed like the entity kept walking down the steps, stopping at the first landing to check us out, then going back up the stairs for a few minutes before returning. Just before midnight, we began slowly ascending the stairs, taking pictures as we went. We also obtained several interesting photos during this time. We left the site around midnight.

Afterward: After returning home and reviewing the video, we found that the camera had tracked an orb moving around the living room in three separate instances while we were in the bedroom. There was nothing on video while we were in the living room, or the whole time we were downstairs in the stairwell. At the end of the video, after 45 minutes of no activity, an orb comes shooting into the living room and past the camera. Thirty seconds later, we entered the apartment again. Was the orb following us the whole time? I believe that it may have been, and knowing that we were returning to the apartment, went back up ahead of us.
  In a separate incident a couple of weeks later, after getting out of the shower one day, Greg noticed a hand print on the steamed-up bathroom mirror. He can not explain how it appeared there, as it had never been there before.
Also, Dan Bell returned to the building several times in the weeks following the investigation, and got several positive photos, including one in the stairway showing a very bright, moving orb. He also heard his name whispered after introducing himself, felt and followed several cold spots, and saw orbs with his naked eye.

Conclusion: Considering the number of moving orb photos we obtained, as well as the video footage, and the things Dan experienced during his post-investigation visits, we have to conclude that this site is very active. Paranormal activity is experienced regularly by most of the other occupants of the building, as well as the landlord. We hope to investigate this site several more times in the near future, as well as research the history and former occupants of the building.

We wish to thank the resident of this building, Greg, who welcomed us into his home to conduct this investigation.

Submitted by Hillary Murdoch